Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Octopus

I am thinking of putting octopus on the menu this summer.  Most people are up in the air about octopus and my wife is no exception.  It's not that she doesn't like it, it is just not something she thinks is worth being sought after.  All it takes is one so-so sushi restaurant to ruin it for someone.  My goal is to change her mind, if I can you will see it on the menu.
Personally, I love octopus...when it is properly prepared.  It is briny and meaty without being overly rich.  Since my wife has been craving Asian food I am going to go East with this big mollusk.  A long, slow braise with onions, garlic, sesame seeds, lemons, fish sauce, black vinegar, soy sauce and hot black bean paste should do the trick.  Adding the extra umami should make it extremely savory and the long cooking time will ensure the meat is tender and succulent.  Serving it along side some brown rice and some quickly sauteed cabbage is sure to do the trick...

No comments:

Post a Comment