Thursday, March 17, 2011

Pulao

Pulao.  That's right Pulao.  A south Asian, or in the case of my dinner tonight, Indian dish.  A quintessential rice dish with as many variations as there are pronunciations (Pulao...Polao...Pilav...Pilaf, yes pilaf).

My wife is not only beautiful, but an amazing cook.  In all too many senses of the word she is my muse.  Tonight she made me a wonderful dinner of saag paneer and pulao.  While the saag paneer was delicious, it is the pulao that I am now obsessed with.

Rice is such a simple dish with so many complex variations.  Variations that are adapted from region to region, culture to culture, and family to family.  Almost every great dish has roots that can be traced back to a meal that peasants treated as a celebration food.  Pulao I'm sure is no different.  I have half a mind to research this right now, but I just finished a fabulous meal along side perfect company, my wife.  It is my company that my other half of mind, the smarter half, is interested in.

I am missing an entree for next month's menu...ah, let me sleep on it, I'll let you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment