Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sugar Shacking It

 I have never been to a sugar shack before.  Today we went to Steve's Sugar Shack in Westhampton.  It was picturesque to say the least, exactly what I had imagined it to look like.  It was roughly 9:15 am, about the earliest I could get my wife out of bed and into the world and the place was already packed.  Thankfully, the line moved along rather quickly.  Ffirst we placed our order of pancakes and french toast, a much needed coffee and some OJ.  Then we waited for a spot to open as we got to see the evaporator and watch as young children enamored at the steam billowing up from the trough.  Finally we were sat at a communal picnic table.  I personally love communal seating.  (I think it creates an intimate experience, a shared experience, rather than just a meal.  I think the next place we open will probably have communal seating.)  We sat and laughed along with many generations of locals and visitors, played with the kids and talked about syrup.  You could see the family who owned the shack, including Steve himself, working the brisk Sunday morning away.  It was a community experience.  It was nice to see and satisfying to take part in.  After a long wait without a dull moment, the food arrived.  I realized in a situation like this it is not about the food or even the syrup, it is about the experience.  I guess I am officially a New Englander now.  I thought I was going to the sugar shack to have breakfast.  It turns out I went to the sugar shack to be a part of the community.  I can't say I will be back this season, but I know I will be excited when the weather turns again.  I'm sure by then it will be time to get my dose of  friendly community and to again bridge the gap between a layers of generations, all over some fresh maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment