Saturday, April 30, 2011

Fiddlehead Gumbo

Ever had a poorly prepared fiddlehead?  If you ended up with a slimy mouthful of starch you did.  This starch was the reason I never understood why people went so crazy over fiddleheads.  Almost every time I ordered a dish with fiddleheads they had slimy character.  Then I moved to Portland, Oregon.  The land of the fiddleheads.  It was in Portland where I learned that when cooked properly a fiddlehead has a really crisp, green taste.  It tastes like a perfect spring day. 

So one day not too long ago, I was thinking about all the goo in fiddleheads and it made me think of okra.  When cooked in a certain manner okra also has that same starchy, slimy texture...but okra's starch is put to good use in such dishes as gumbo.  The starch helps to create a rich and thick broth.  Could we use fiddleheads in the same manner?  It turns out you can.  Last night we prepared a stone crab and halibut gumbo using fiddleheads in place of okra.  It was a huge success and I am now toying with the idea of a plat du jour-Valley Spring Gumbo, made with only items from the pioneer valley...

No comments:

Post a Comment