Saturday, August 13, 2011

Best Broccoli...Period.

During a quick trip through the farmer's market this morning, I got my hands on some broccoli.  I love broccoli but as my staff can tell you (one of my very vocal pet peeves), I won't put broccoli on a menu and I it bothers me incredibly when I get broccoli served at a restaurant...unless it is an Asian restaurant.  There are very few things that our country as whole knows how to (or can) cook, and broccoli is one of them.  In case you are looking for a new and exciting way to prepare America's vegetable, here is my favorite method.  You can thank Chef Blumenthal for turning me on to this one, but you have to trust us both and follow the recipe...

-one head brocolli, cut into small bite size pieces...yes, the stem too.
-3T olive oil
-1 tab butter
-1 T water
-salt and pepper

1.  Heat heavy bottomed pot over high heat.  Add oil and when the oil starts to smoke, add broccoli and cover.
2.  Do not open or touch the pot for two whole minutes.
3.  Once you patiently and anxiously awaited two whole minutes, uncover the pot, shake well to "stir" broccoli and and add butter.  Cover immediately and don't touch for another 2 minutes.
4.  Uncover and add water, cover again and wait one minute.
5.  Remove from heat, season and enjoy...you might want to let it cool for a minute first.

No comments:

Post a Comment