Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thanksgiving...already?

A friend of ours from Canada just celebrated Thanksgiving this past weekend and it turned our attention to the upcoming holiday.  When I was first living on my own, as a way to prove that I was really on my own I suppose, I used to celebrate the major holidays by myself.  That lasted a whole one time before I realized that holidays are lonely by yourself.  The next year I was determined to find something to do rather than just simply be by myself.  I brainstormed the best I could but in suburban Minnesota there is absolutely nothing to do, everything is closed that day.  So, I went to lunch at my favorite Chinese restaurant in Minneapolis (one of maybe three places open that day) and read the local rag with the hopes that I might find something to do, someplace that's open.   I came across a story of an inner-city soup kitchen that was serving a Thanksgiving dinner.  I had nothing better to do so I swung by and inquired if they needed an extra hand.  I ended up helping to feed dozens of people that day, a day far from wasted away in solitude.  I remember seeing people truly thankful that day, not because they had the opportunity to sit around a table and tell everyone so, because they were happy to be giving such a loving meal in a place that they didn't have to be alone.  That's when I realized the holidays aren't about celebrating anything, they are about being together.  What brings us together better than a good meal?  That is what the holidays mean to me and for once I am in a position to do more than just lend a hand.  This year we are trying to put together a meal at the restaurant for those who may not have anywhere to go or anyone to share it with.  I am sharing this as a means to help us reach people in need of some company this Thanksgiving. If you happen know anyone that needs just that, please have them contact us.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment