Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Comfort food

The term "comfort food" has definitely become a general term for a type of food so much so that I think we forget the reason we called it comfort food in the first place.  Your comfort food may not be one found in Gourmet Magazine's list of 100 comfort foods and it doesn't have to be.  While I used to believe that I had all sorts of comfort foods, it wasn't until recently that I discovered that only one really satisfies true comfort.  It's no big surprise that for me it lies in the dish I used to eat at my grandmother's house, the dish that really meant I was at my grandmother's house.  When I was young we often drove down to New Mexico from Minnesota only to arrive too late for an actual dinner but famished enough to warrant a good, solid meal.  My grandmother's go to meal for such an arrival was frijoles (pinto beans) with red chile, calabacitas (squash with onions and corn), fresh flour tortillas (always fluffy and warm) and a huge side of chopped green chile with too much garlic added to it.  Today this is the meal I need when life is busy, sad, stressful, cold, or just plain perfect and in need of something just as perfect to finish it off.  That's what we had for dinner tonight and I couldn't tell you what else I did today, just that I ate well....

No comments:

Post a Comment